Sometimes we find ourselves less inclined to receive physical items and more inclined to focus on experiences or events. Some people prefer these types of gifts because they’re focused on a minimalist lifestyle; others because they’re trying to be environmentally conscious; or some simply because they already have all the physical things they want or need.
Today’s gift guide helps satisfy all those people in your life. I’ve pulled together a list of ideas and local businesses that involve non-physical gifts or “experience gifts.” Honestly, you many want to just bookmark this for future “what should we do today?” ideas too.
I hope you find your next weekend out idea or a great gift idea for someone who has “everything” or someone who doesn’t want anything!
Sometimes you just need some pampering, am I right? So why not gift someone else a little self-care day? See below for some local spas around the area and feel free to comment any spas you love!
1. B Spa | Doylestown, PA
- B Spa offers an array of facial and skin treatments, massages, nail services and hair removal services.
2. Doylestown Float Spa | Doylestown, PA
- Doylestown Float Spa offers float therapy sessions and energy healing sessions. I’ve been wanting to try a float session as I’ve heard great things! Check out their website for more information about floating and float therapy.
3. Fellowship Day Spa | Doylestown, PA
- Fellowship Day Spa offers massages, facials, and facial waxing services.
4. LANA | Princeton, NJ
- LANA states it’s the first Oncology Spa in New Jersey. It offers Oncology Care, Spa Services, Salon Services, and Permanent Makeup Services. Check out their website for a list of services in each category.
5. Nurture Spa | New Hope, PA
- Nurture Spa offers massages, body scrubs, facials, manicures and pedicures, waxing, lash extensions and eyebrow tints.
6. Pure Spa | Ambler, PA
- Pure Spa offers massage therapy, spa facials, chemical peels, body polish, and body waxing services.
7. The Salt Cave | Doylestown & Newtown, PA
- The Salt Cave offers a unique experience through salt sessions where visitors can book time to relax and detox in a Pink Himalayan Salt Cave. The Salt Cave also offers reflexology, massages, reiki and facials within the salt cave.
8. Skin ‘N Tonic | New Hope, PA
- Skin ‘N Tonic offers an array of treatments and services. Their list is long! They offer Microchanneling, Facials, Massages, Kinetic Chain Release, Microcurrent Treatment, Microdermabrasion, Oncology Services, Chemical Peels, Tinting, Waxing, and
I know I’m jumping right from relaxation to getting your heart pumping, but some people love that rush! Below are some local businesses that offer some fun ways to get your adrenaline going!
1. iFly (indoor skydiving) | King of Prussia, PA
- I’ve actually done this and it was way more fun then I thought it would be! I was very nervous, but the instructors are with you the whole time (unless you’re awesome sauce and have gained your flying solo pass). I’d definitely recommend this, and it’s kid-friendly too!
2. Speed Raceway & Axe Throwing | Horsham, PA (& Cinnaminson, NJ)
- Go-karts were always my favorite go-to activity at Happy Times and amusement parks that had them and I’m so excited we have a local indoor go-karting location! Speedway also offers Axe Throwing which I haven’t done yet.
3. Treetop Quest | Philadelphia, PA (& various locations in the U.S.)
- This is an aerial adventure park including obstacles and zip-lines. I haven’t been here, but this outdoor park looks super fun! I’m afraid of heights, but I’d be willing to try it for sure. They offer season passes as well!
4. Escape Rooms
- Escape room are an all time favorite thing for my friends and I to do. I love them so much and secretly want to make my family do one lol. But definitely would be a fun experience to gift to friends, family or co-workers.
- Doylestown Escape Room | Doylestown, PA
- The Escape Game | King of Prussia, PA (& other location in U.S.)
- Expedition Escape | Montgomeryville, PA & King of Prussia, PA
5. Hot Air Balloon Ride
- A Hot Air Balloon Ride is top on my bucket list of things to do, but I’m terrified of heights so I’m not sure how I’ll do. Still, this would be such a great experience to gift a partner or family member in your life.
- A-Lot-A Hot Air Balloon Ride | Clinton, NJ
- Endless Mountains Hot Air Balloon | Bucks County and Scranton, PA
- Lehigh Valley Hot Air | Lehigh Valley, PA
- The United States Hot Air Balloon Team | Bucks County, Chester County & Lancaster County, PA
BOOK A CLASS
If the pandemic gave us anything, it was more time at home. Some of us used that time to learn something new and others of us (aka me) spent time wishing I was learning something new. Behold the gift of a class! Below are some local businesses that offer classes so your giftee can learn something new or expand an already-there passion.
1. Paint Night at The Uncorked Artist | Warminster, PA
- Book a take-home painting kit with instructions and supplies ready to go to create a new piece of art, attend an online class or book a private zoom party! All great options for a fun experience that encourages your creative side!
2. Cooking & Cocktail Workshops
- Boardroom Spirits | Lansdale, PA – offers cocktail workshops
- Conquering Cuisine | Doylestown, PA – offers cooking classes
- Really Cooking with Robin | East Norriton, PA – offers cooking classes
- Shelley’s Table | Lambertville, NJ & New Hope, PA – offers cooking classes
3. Makers Off Main | Doylestown, PA
- Offers different craft-focused workshops for all age levels.
4. Music Lessons at Funky Frets | Boyertown, PA
- Offers private music lessons (virtual and in-person), events and a retail space with instruments and accessories for purchase.
5. Fitness Class
- Honestly there’s so many awesome fitness studios, yoga studios, barre, pilates…you get the picture! I’m going to just list a few, but I find that studios are very subjective and it’s all about finding a place that you love. So if you’re gifting a membership or money for a few months or gifting a class, try and see if it’s a place your person already attends and likes or is a place you’ve been to and like already as well.
- Breathing Dragon Yoga | Doylestown, PA (& Montgomery, NJ, Cherry Hill, NJ & Baltimore, MD)
- Central Bucks Cross Fit | Warminster, PA
- Full Cycle Studio | Jamison, PA
- Moon Dog Yoga | Quakertown, PA
- Pennsylvania Pole Academy | Doylestown, PA
- Remix Fitness | Horsham, PA
- Rise Barre & Fitness | Lower Gwynedd, PA
Don’t forget to comment below some of your favorite studios, workshops etc.!
I’m a huge travel lover, but I’ve been working on trying to explore more of my own “backyard.” For other travel-lovers, this would be a perfect gift that won’t break the bank (aka traveling fees). Whether you book a place to stay or just give the gift of a day-trip, below are some awesome places to explore for a staycation this holiday season (or any season really).
- Stay: River House at Odette’s, Logan Inn, Ghost Light Inn, Carriage House of New Hope, Lambertville House, Lambertville Station & More
- Eat: Ferry Market, Dubliner on the Delaware, The Salt House, Triumph Brewing
- Shop: Golden Nugget Antiques Market
- Visit: The New Hope Railroad, Bucks County Children’s Museum, Bucks County Playhouse
2. Peddler’s Village | Lahaska, PA
- Stay: Golden Plough Inn
- Eat: Mama Hawk’s Cafe or Peddler’s Pub for food & Free Will Brewing, Hewn Spirits, or Chaddsford Winery for drinks
- Shop: Peddler’s is filled with small businesses. Check out the store directory.
- Visit: Click here for all their events and festivals. Also check-out some nearby antiquing or Rice’s Market.
3. Doylestown, PA
- Stay: Hargrave House, Doylestown Inn
- Eat: Maxwell’s on Main, Geronimo Brewing at Lilly’s Jury Room, Empanada Mamma, Hops/Scotch for drinks, Spuntino for pizza, Nina’s Waffles & Ice Cream for desert
- Shop: Allora, Makers off Main, Siren Records, Busy Bee Toys, Monkey’s Uncle, Doylestown Bookshop, Something Else, Serendipity, Nomad Supply Company, Smith & Scott Boutique, Evolution Candy, Shop Vintage Alley and honestly so many more awesome stores!
- Visit: Mercer Museum & Fonthill Castle, Michener Art Museum, County Theater, Peace Valley Lavender Farm
4. King of Prussia & Valley Forge area, PA
- Stay: The Alloy King of Prussia, Hyatt House King of Prussia, Hilton Garden Inn Valley Forge, Embassy Suites by Hilton Valley Forge
- Eat: Paladar Latin Kitchen and Rum Bar, Kooma, Founding Farmers, City Works Eatery & Pour House, North Italia
- Shop: King of Prussia Mall, King of Prussia Town Center,
- Visit: Valley Forge National Park, Elmwood Park Zoo, American Helicopter Museum, Berman Museum of Art
5. Princeton, NJ
- Stay: Nassau Inn, Peacock Inn, Clarion Hotel Palmer Inn, Element by Westin, Courtyard by Marriott
- Eat: Eno Terra, Blue Point Grill, Alchemist & Barrister Restaurant & Pub, The Bent Spoon for desert, Teresa Caffe, Small World Coffee, The Gingered Peach
- Shop: Palmer Square, Labyrinth Books, Lawrenceville Main Street, Princeton Record Exchange, Quaker Bridge Mall, MarketFair
- Visit: Hopewell Valley Vineyards, Morven Museum & Garden, Princeton Battlefield State Park, Princeton Cemetery, Princeton University
6. Jim Thorpe, PA
- Stay: Inn at Jim Thorpe, The Dolon House, Time House Bed & Breakfast, Harry Packer Mansion Inn and Libations Lounge, Kelly Suites on Broadway
- Eat: Penn’s Peak, Molly Maguires Pub & Steakhouse, Muggles’ Mug, Stone Row Pub & Eatery,
- Shop: Bee Stung, Conjured Soap Boutique, Douglas House Marketplace, Mauch Chunk 5 & 10, Sellers Books & Fine Art, Soundcheck Records,
- Visit: Asa Packer Mansion, Mauch Chunk Museum, No. 9 Coal & Mine Museum, The Old Jail Museum, Lehigh Gorge Scenic Railway
7. Downtown Lancaster, PA
- Stay: Airbnbs or Cork Factory Hotel, Lancaster Arts Hotel, The Lancaster Bed & Breakfast, Lancaster Marriott at Penn Square
- Eat: Prince Street Cafe, Cafe One Eight, Shot & Bottle,
- Shop: Lancaster Central Market, Stan’s Record Bar Read Rose Books, Redeux Vintage,
- Visit: Fulton Theatre, Lancaster ArtWalk, Decades
8. Hershey, PA
- Stay: local Airbnbs or if you can swing it: The Hotel Hershey, Comfort Inn at the Park, City House Bed & Breakfast, Hershey Lodge, Hilton Garden Inn Hershey, Inn at Chocolate Avenue,
- Eat: Fire & Grain, Hershey Grill, Hidden Still Spirits, Revelry, The Mill in Hershey, Tröegs Independent Brewing, Iberian Lounge
- Shop: Tanger Outlets, Hershey’s Chocolate World, Crossroads Antique Mall, Midtown Scholar Bookstore, Shoppes at Susquehanna Marketplace
- Visit: Hershey Park, Gardens at Hotel Hershey, Brew Barons Beer Trail, Adventure Trail, AACA Museum, The State Museum of Pennsylvania
I’m a huge food lover and find food experience some of the most fun ways to spend a day. If you’re looking for a gift for that foodie in your life or for a fun afternoon out of the house then I’d recommend booking or planning some of the things below.
1. Wine Tasting
- Bishop Estate Vineyard and Winery | Perkasie, PA
- Boyd’s Carinal Hollow Winery | Lansdale, PA
- Buckingham Valley Vineyards | Buckingham, PA
- Chaddsford Winery | Chadds Ford, PA or Peddler’s Village
- Crossing Vineyards and Winery | Washington Crossing, PA
- Rose Bank Winery | Newtown, PA
- Rushland Ridge Vineyards | Jamison, PA
- Sand Castle Winery | Erwinna, PA
- Stone and Key Cellars | Montgomeryville, PA
- Wycombe Vineyards | Furlong, PA
- Visit the Bucks County Wine Trail for winery information and trail map.
2. Brewery Tour
- Artifact Brewing | Hatboro, pA
- Bucks County Brewery | Pipersville, PA
- Crooked Eye Brewery | Hatboro, PA
- Free Will Brewing Co. | Perkasie, PA
- Geronimo Brewing | Doylestown, PA
- Iron Hill Brewery | Various locations in PA
- Mad Princes Brewing | Buckingham, PA
- Moss Mill Brewing Company | Huntingdon Valley, PA
- Naked Brewing Company | Bristol, PA
- Neshaminy Creek Brewing Co. | Croydon, PA & New Hope, PA
- Proper Brewing Company | Quakertown, PA
- Ten7 Brewing Company | North Wales, PA
- Triumph Brewing Company | New Hope, PA & Princeton, NJ
- Warwick Farm Brewing | Jamison, PA
- Well Crafted Beer Co. | Lansdale, PA
- Visit the Visit Bucks County Ale Trail for breweries in Bucks County
3. Dinner Out (gift card to a local restaurant)
4. Book a Tea
5. Book a Lux Picnic
6. Food Tour
- On the Town Food Tours | Various Locations, NJ
- Secret Food Tours | Philadelphia, PA
- Sister Cities Food & Shop Tour | New Hope, PA & Lambertville, NJ
- Tastings & Tours | Bucks County, PA; Cape May, NJ; Lehigh/Berks County
Museum, Zoo or Theme Park Pass
One of my favorite things to do in a new city is to explore any museums they may have. I’m a huge history buff and love exploring historical, cultural and art museums. So why not give a membership so others can enjoy this as well?! Memberships offer the unique gift of more then one visit in a year and I love that so much! If you can’t afford a membership, gift a one-day visit!
Broadway was always a favorite escape for me in high school and college. I loved taking the train up to NYC to see the shows. But what I’ve been enjoying now that I’m older is the local shows and talents in my own backyard. For that perfect evening out or for the entertainment lover in your life, gift them a season pass or show from one of the theaters (both live and filmed) below!
1. Ambler Theater (movies) | Ambler, PA
2. Bristol Riverside Theater | Bristol, PA
3. Bucks County Playhouse | New Hope, PA
4. Doylestown County Theater (movies) | Doylestown, PA
5. Sellersville Theater | Sellersville, PA
Do have any other ideas for experience lovers? Drop them in the comments below!
I hope you find a great gift idea and support local this holiday season (and all year)!
xx Nicole Lynn